![]()
LATEST STORIES:
![]()

A Burlington community gathered Wednesday night to discuss their concerns about break-and-enters following a violent home invasion last month that spurred the meeting.
Community members got together at St. Raphael’s Church following the most recent home invasion in the area, which took place May 15 in the area of Lakeshore and Belvenia roads.
Another home invasion occurred just down the street from the church, where a homeowner was injured.
Police say that on April 22, five suspects first broke into a home in Oakville. Then, in the same night, they went into a residence in the area of Rossmore Boulevard.
The suspects smashed a window to gain entry, and once inside, they were confronted by the residents.
A physical altercation ensued, and the homeowner was struck in the head with an unknown object, requiring medical attention. The suspects fled without taking anything.
READ MORE: Halton police searching for four men following Burlington home invasion
The incidents have shaken people in the community. On the day of the meeting, home security companies could be seen on Rossmore Boulevard, and one resident noted that neighbours on the street are hiring a security guard for the area.
At the same time, residents are looking for answers from the city and Halton police about what is being done regarding the recent break-ins.
“Obviously anytime you have people that are breaking into your home when you are present, of course, raises multiple alarms for concern,” said Jeff Dillon, a media relations officer with the Halton Regional Police Service. “Of course you’re going to have the mental repercussions. Even if there wasn’t any physical violence, it’s just the intrusion of people coming into your home like that is going to leave, I think, a mental scar.”
Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward acknowledged the community’s worries but noted that overall statistics have trended downward.
“Across the city we have seen break-and-enters, we’ve seen auto theft. Those numbers have gone down a little bit … I’ve been hearing a lot from people across the city, this sense of anxiety,” Meed Ward said. “What’s happening? Is crime going up? What are police doing about this? What is the mayor and council doing about this? We are really wanting to answer all of those questions tonight to the community, and let them know we’ve heard them, we understand their concerns, and share what we’re doing.”
READ MORE: One resident injured after two early-morning home invasions in Halton