Halton police are investigating after two teenagers were found unconscious and suffering from a suspected overdose after consuming an unknown drug.
Officers were called to a Milton home around 2 p.m. Wednesday. Police say more than a dozen high school students were gathered at the home when two 18-year-olds went outside to smoke what they thought was cannabis.
“Shortly after the two youths smoked the substance, both lost consciousness and began to have seizures. A neighbour witnessed this and called 9-1-1,” said Halton police in a news release.
Officers arrived on scene and found both teens unconscious and “showing obvious signs” of a suspected overdose. Officers quickly administered naloxone to both teens.
“One victim received a single dose of Naloxone before regaining consciousness, while the other remained unresponsive and required a second dose of Naloxone to regain consciousness,” said Halton police.
The teens were transferred to hospital via ambulance.
Investigators say the drug was purchased from a third party and police have not confirmed what the substance was.
Halton police are reminding residents if you see someone who may have overdosed on a drug to call 911 immediately. “Our frontline officers carry naloxone and we want to assist. The Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act provides broad legal protections for anyone seeking emergency support during an overdose, including the person experiencing an overdose. To be clear, the Good Samaritan Drug Overdose Act protects citizens, including youths, from being prosecuted for offences such as simple possession,” said police.
Anyone with information that could help police with the investigation is asked to contact 905-825-4777, ext. 2410 or 905-825-4777, ext. 2416.