The City of Welland says the builder of a luxury condo project that collapsed twice during construction last month is now applying for a partial demolition permit.
The Upper Vista Welland Condominiums on Prince Charles Dr. suffered a structural failure on Feb. 18 and again eight days later on Feb. 26.
The city says the permit application for partial demolition is aimed at eliminating overhead safety hazards.
Officials say the Ministry of Labour is permitting the builder to complete the demolition of the areas that have collapsed.
The work is expected to begin on Monday.
“We remain committed to complying with directives from the Ministry of Labour while their investigation unfolds,” said Jack Tosta, Chief Building Official.
“Issuance of building [demolition] permits is a legislated process that is prescribed in the Building Code Act, which also defines the City role in the process.”