LATEST STORIES:

Vigil planned for Hamilton boy, 16, fatally shot at Jackson Square

Share this story...

A vigil is scheduled for Thursday evening to honour a 16-year-old boy who was shot and killed at Jackson Square last week.

The shooting happened around 5 p.m. Friday inside Jackson Square mall.

A family spokesperson for Nabil Askafe tells CHCH News that it will take place Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at Hamilton City Hall.

Askafe was laid to rest on Monday at Hamilton Mountain Mosque, and a family representative said they expect another heartfelt turnout for the slain teen tomorrow.

“I know that his friends spoke so highly about him,” said Abrar Mechmechia, a representative for the Askafe family. “How he was funny, how he was sweet and how he was a caring friend. Whenever they asked him for something, he would jump in to support his friends.”

The vigil is set to feature a memorial with prayers and speeches.

“We will be coming together as a community to be there for the family and honour Nabil, that’s the main point of coming tomorrow – is paying our respect as a broader community to the family,” Mechmechia said.

WATCH MORE: Police searching for 14-year-old boy involved in fatal Jackson Square shooting

Hamilton police say Askafe and two teens interacted with each other outside the mall, resulting in an altercation inside that led to the shooting.

Officers say the two teens were seen running from the scene while Askafe walked towards a store and collapsed. The 16-year-old boy died later in hospital.

The next day, investigators said they identified the shooter as a 14-year-old boy. He allegedly was the only one with a firearm and shot multiple rounds. Officers say Askafe was not armed.

“Right now, we have laid charges. Our accused has been arrested and charges have been laid,” said Det. Robert Di Ianni with Hamilton police. “But we continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding before the altercation and after the altercation.”

The young boy turned himself in on Sunday and is facing a charge of second-degree murder.

As of Wednesday, investigators said they have spoken with another teen involved and continue to search for the firearm used in the shooting.

“I can describe it as, not as long as a longarm, but not as short as a pistol,” Di Ianni said. “Now, the make and model of that firearm, we can’t tell from the video.”

WATCH MORE: 16-year-old boy killed in shooting at Hamilton’s Jackson Square

Police say there is no indication Askafe and the 14-year-old suspect knew each other prior to the shooting, though they are investigating any links.

Police expressed concern over the violent and tragic incident, especially because it involved young teens.

Safety in downtown Hamilton has been a public hot topic, which resulted in officers increasing foot patrol around the shopping centre, restaurants and other businesses.

Hamilton Chamber of Commerce CEO Greg Dunnett said while efforts have been made to revitalize the core, the work to ensure safety is not done.

“There are real impacts when incidents like this happen,” Dunnett said. “People may make the choice not to come downtown, whether that is an employee, whether that is a customer or a tourist.”

WATCH MORE: Funeral at Hamilton mosque honours boy killed in Jackson Square shooting