LATEST STORIES:

Patrick Brown resigns as Ontario PC leader amid sexual misconduct allegations

Share this story...

Ontario’s Opposition leader is stepping down following allegations of sexual misconduct that date back to when he was a federal MP.

Patrick Brown made the announcement in a statement issued around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, after he held a news conference at the Ontario Legislature where he denied what he called “categorically false” allegations.

“These allegations are false. Every one of them. I will defend myself as hard as I can, with all the means at my disposal. I can’t speculate on the motive of my accusers, I can only say they what they are saying is categorically untrue,” the 39-year-old politician said.

During the news conference, a visibly emotional Brown said he would defend himself in the court of law. “I know that the court of public opinion moves fast. I have instructed my attorneys to ensure that these allegations are addressed where they should be: in a court of law. In short, I reject these accusation in the strongest possible terms. It’s not my values. It’s not how I was raised. It’s not who I am,” said Brown.

CTV News reported that two women came forward with graphic sexual misconduct allegations against Brown. The first alleged incident happened more than 10 years ago. The woman, a high school student in Barrie at the time, said she and a mutual friend met Brown at a bar. The woman, who is now 29, claimed she had been drinking when Brown, who was not drinking at the time, asked her to perform oral sex on him.

The news outlet said the other woman claimed she was working in Brown’s constituency office when he sexually assaulted her at his home after an event she helped organize. The woman said she did not report the alleged incident to authorities.

CTV News said it had viewed records of correspondence between Brown and the women.

Several politicians have reacted to the allegations. Andrea Horwath, leader of Ontario’s New Democratic Party, called for Brown to step down. “My thoughts are with the brave young women who have spoken out to describe horrible, degrading and unsafe experiences they say happened at the hands of Patrick Brown. I’m disgusted and disturbed by these sexual misconduct allegations. Patrick Brown must resign, immediately. He deserves his day in court, but no person can lead a political party in this province with allegations like these hanging over his head,” said Horwath.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne did not comment on Brown specifically but praised the women who came forward with the allegations. “It’s a difficult and brave thing to do to come forward in the way these young women have done tonight. My government and I have been clear on the issue of sexual harassment and assault. In fact our policy and our ad were called ‘It’s Never Okay,” she said.

Federal Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said the allegations against Brown are “extremely serious” and should be fully investigated.”

None of the allegations have been proven in court.