![]()
LATEST STORIES:
![]()

Ontario is spending $10 million on six programs to give people training in the skilled trades as part of its Skills Development Fund.
The fund gained notoriety after the province’s auditor general found last year that the way the government had been selecting successful applications and disbursing money from the $2.5-billion fund was not fair, transparent or accountable.
Integrity commissioner Cathryn Motherwell is investigating allegations from the opposition parties that Labour Minister David Piccini breached ethics rules in handing out the skills training funding.
The government says it has made changes to how it selects projects through this sixth round of funding, including requiring applications to disclose the use of registered lobbyists and analyzing individuals associated with applications, in addition to the organization.
The projects splitting the latest $10 million in skills development funding include YMCA-led training for construction jobs, automotive service training and a program giving young people skills in the electrical trades.
Piccini says the fund helps people build rewarding careers and strengthen the workforce that will build Ontario’s homes and infrastructure.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.
Allison Jones, The Canadian Press