The Ontario Fire Marshal has been called in to investigate one of two fires that broke out overnight in Hamilton.
The first happened shortly after midnight at a high-rise apartment building at 150 Sanford Ave. North.
Hamilton Fire spokesperson Claudio Mostacci says it appears a lit cigarette was thrown from a unit in the building and landed on a sixth-floor balcony below, sparking the fire.
The building was evacuated and residents were forced to wait outside in the snow and cold temperatures.
Firefighters managed to quickly knock down the blaze and no one was injured.
The fire caused roughly $10,000 in damage.
Firefighters were called to another blaze a few hours later at plaza in East Hamilton.
Officials say a fire broke out in a garbage bin behind a strip mall at 640 Queenston Rd.
The fire spread into the Mark’s clothing store, triggering the sprinkler system.
Mostacci says smoke and water damage is estimated at roughly $100,000. No injuries were reported.
The fire is being considered suspicious and the Ontario Fire Marshal has been called in to investigate.