LATEST STORIES:
McMaster, Brock & Mohawk suspend in-person classes, other schools restrict travel and cancel events

UPDATE
Universities and colleges across the province are taking action in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
McMaster University has announced it will be suspending in-person classes and in-person exams at the end of the day Friday.
Instructors will let students know by March 18 how the remainder of their course work will be managed and grades evaluated so students can complete their credits.
“These are unsettling times. The spread of COVID-19 around the world and its arrival in our own region has brought McMaster and all other organizations to uncharted territory, said David Farrar, President, McMaster University. “The University’s focus is always clearly on our students, faculty and staff. And while the university has taken many measures to prepare and keep our community informed as the pandemic has unfolded, it is now time to take a more significant decision to suspend classes at McMaster.”
The university previously cancelled all discretionary events and strongly encouraged everyone at the university to avoid travel outside Canada.
“This is a stressful time for everyone. And these are difficult decisions,” said Farrar. “We don’t underestimate the challenge it will be for instructors to find alternate ways to finish their course programs and for staff to develop and implement the changes that will be required. But I am confident that in these extraordinary times, extraordinary solutions will be found and the university will provide the support needed to help ensure that happens.”
The remainder of the university will remain open and students will continue to have access to their residences, libraries, and food services.
Brock University has also announced it will also be suspending face-to-face classes and exams for the rest of this academic term.
The university is working on a plan to move to alternative forms of class and exam delivery, including online.
Faculty members will be asked for alternatives for course delivery, and the goal will be to resume virtual classes the week of March 23 for those instructors who are able to conduct their classes in a virtual environment.
Campuses in St. Catharines and Hamilton will remain open and operational and staff are expected to attend work as scheduled. Researchers and grad students will have access to their labs and student residence will remain open.
Mohawk College will suspend all classes at the end of the day, Friday March 13. All in-person exams are cancelled and the campus will be closed to students and the community as of March 14.
Classes will restart online or with alternative delivery beginning March 23. Mohawk will be contacting students to let them know how the remainder of their semester will be managed and grades evaluated.
On Thursday, Brock enacted a series of measures to safeguard student, faculty and staff well-being during the outbreak.
The university said all travel outside Canada that is not vital to the academic mission has been prohibited.
All discretionary events not required for academic courses or credit through June 1 have also been cancelled.
Effective after end of classes Friday, March 13, #BrockU is suspending face-to-face classes and exams for the rest of this academic term and is working on a plan to move to alternative forms of class and exam delivery, including online. The academic term is not at risk. 1/6
— Brock University (@BrockUniversity) March 13, 2020
School officials say they are closely monitoring the situation in North America and globally, but with a particular focus on the Niagara and Hamilton regions.
The university says it is evaluating the impact on students, staff, and faculty of the provincial government’s decision to close elementary and high schools until April 5.
Niagara College has imposed cancelled outgoing college travel to countries with active travel health notices.
All other college travel is tightly restricted, with any exceptions considered by Senior Vice President Pam Skinner on a case-by-case basis.
Skinner says while classes haven’t been cancelled or modified at this time, academic contingency and semester completion planning is underway, and discussions will take place within each division to ensure that students can complete the semester should the current situation change.
RELATED STORY
All publicly funded schools in Ontario to close for two weeks following March break
Ontario public health authorities still consider the risk to contract the virus to be low.
However, to avoid the spread of COVID-19, health officials are recommending residents stay home if you are sick and return to work or school when you are well; wash hands using soap and water or hand sanitizer; cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or into your sleeve; avoid shaking hands and close contact with people who are sick; avoid sharing personal items; and clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.