Ontario confirms second presumptive case of coronavirus in Toronto


Ontario’s chief medical officer of health has confirmed a second presumptive case of coronavirus in Toronto.

Dr. David Williams says the wife of the province’s first case of novel coronavirus has tested positive for the virus at Ontario’s public health laboratory.

The woman has been in “self-isolation” since arriving in Toronto with her husband.

“We are working alongside Toronto Public Health, who has been in regular contact with the individual during their self-isolation period,” said Dr. Williams. “Given the fact that she has been in self-isolation, the risk to Ontarians remains low.”

On Sunday, public health officials announced that a man his 50s had been showing mild symptoms on his flight from Guangzhou, China, to Toronto.

Officials confirmed Monday that the man’s illness was indeed the new coronavirus after results came back from Winnipeg’s National Microbiology Lab.

Dr. Williams, joined by Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health, and Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical Officer of Health for the City of Toronto, will provide an update on the emerging situation at 11:30 a.m. at Queen’s Park.

Watch live below