Hamilton police are investigating an ATM theft at a local pharmacy on Hamilton Mountain.
Officers were called to a Rexall pharmacy near the intersection of Rymal Rd. and Upper Wentworth St. around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Police believe the thieves rammed a pickup truck into the building to get inside before stealing an ATM. Video from the scene shows significant damage to a large window near the front entrance.
A witness reported seeing a blue GMC truck drive away from the scene.
The Hamilton Police BEAR Unit has taken over the investigation.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Hamilton police.
Police have also offered the following tips to help deter criminal activity involving ATMs:
- Where possible, place the ATM in an area of the store that is not easily accessible or visible from a door or window.
- Maintain ATMs with a minimum amount of currency.
- Ensure existing video surveillance systems are functional and equipped to capture the interior and exterior of the business.
- Consider the installation of bollards and or concrete parking curbs outside windows and doors to prevent access into the business by vehicles.
- Remove any excess signage from windows and doors, allowing potential witnesses a better view of the business’s interior.
- Utilize exterior lighting to encourage witnesses.