It is the time of year when candy is all over the place with Halloween and then Christmas. Naturopathic doctor Joyce Johnson shared fives tips on how to satisfy that sweet tooth.
1. Avoid Artificial Sweeteners. While it may seem like a good idea to switch from sugar to an artificial sweetener it can actually increase cravings, and in turn you eat more to satisfy that craving. It’s best to eat fruit if you are looking for something sweet.
2. Nutrient Deficincies can make cravings worse. Try to fill your diet with more Vitamin D rich foods, like milk, orange juice, salmon and eggs. If you are eating a lot of sugary foods you could also have a magnesium deficiency, so Joyce says to try eating foods like dark leafy greens, avocado, and bananas.
3. Read Your Labels. You may think that cutting out sweet food is doing enough, but sugar can be sneaked into food like pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, yogurt, granola bars, energy drinks and more. Don’t just look for the word sugar. It could be on the label as dextrose, maltose, galactose and maltodextrin, just to name a few.
4. Get Enough Sleep. Not getting enough sleep can lead to cravings for calorically dense foods, which usually have a lot of sugar in them. People who got a good nights sleep made better food choices than those who didn’t get 7-8 hours.
5. Eat More and Eat More Protein. If you eat a diet full of protein and fibre and low in sugar it helps reduce hunger and crush cravings and you will have more energy that lasts throughout the day, instead of a quick boost that you get from sugar.