Dangers of using a garden hose in the heat

This heat can trigger dangers in some of the most unexpected ways. In Arizona a child was seriously burned by hot water from a garden hose that had been left out in the sun. 9-month-old Nicolas has second degree burns to about 30% of his body. Luckily he’s recovering, but doctors say this could have ended tragically.

Experts say water inside a garden hose can heat up to 80 degrees if left in the sun all day. They also warn how fast hot water can injure a baby. A third degree burn can be caused in as little as one second at 69 degrees, in 5 seconds at 60, and in 15 seconds at 56 degrees. Doctors also warn that babies should always have shoes when walking on pavement to avoid burns.