Careless smoking sparks multiple-alarm fire in Hamilton


Fire officials say careless smoking sparked a multiple-alarm fire in a 14th floor apartment unit in Hamilton.

Crews were called to a 21-storey high rise at 123 Charlton Ave. East around 4:43 p.m. Saturday.

Firefighters managed to quickly knock down the fire before it spread to any neighbouring units.

The building was cleared of smoke and residents of the building were able to return home expect for the tenants of the unit where the fire started.

The Red Cross was called in to help those residents find alternate accommodations.

The suspected cause of the fire was careless disposal of smoker’s material on the balcony which “ignited combustible items.”

Investigators say damage is estimated at approximately $100,000.

The Hamilton Fire Department is reminding citizens that careless smoking and disposal of cigarettes is consistently one of the leading causes of fires in Hamilton.

Fire officials ask that if you choose to smoke ensure that you have an appropriate container to safely extinguish your cigarette.



LATEST STORIES


Commenting Guidelines

  • Comments are open for 2 days only after publication of article
  • All comments subject to approval
    • Comments must be constructive and a minimum of 5 words
    • Please do not submit multiple identical comments
    • Personal attacks will not be posted
    • We reserve the right to edit submissions for spelling, grammar, and language
  • CH-CHing! points will be awarded upon submission, however comments will not appear live until they have been approved
  • During the approval process, we reserve the right to withdraw CH-CHing! points awarded to you for comments that do not meet the above guidelines
css.php